Job Posting - Digital Journal / Publication Designer
The Documentary Film Institute at San Francisco State University seeks a Digital Journal / Publication Designer to be responsible for the design of text, “cover art”, and interior layout and digital media integration for DocFilm’s new Nonfiction Film Journal Pluralities. This position is responsible for all phases of production from visual concept to electronic publication under the supervision of DocFilm staff using WordPress as the primary platform.
Duties for this position include: Evaluating manuscripts for structure and presentation in various electronic formats/layouts; comfort working on designs across platforms and mobile devices with user experience in mind, designing interior text, and supplying sample layouts to DocFIlm staff and Pluralities Editorial Board as needed. The Digital Journal / Publication Designer will be responsible for digital cover, designs for volumes; working internally with DocFIlm staff on concept development and implementation, externally with rights-holders and authors for images and approvals.
Successful candidates will have the ability to manage multiple and overlapping projects and to monitor, meet, and accelerate schedules as needed. The position calls for a versatile portfolio demonstrating knowledge of typography, design, writing thorough composition specifications; good technical knowledge of typesetting, and strong skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Undergraduate or Graduate level, with a strong focus on digital design; an eye for typography, layouts, and premium brand work
- Must be proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Delivers high-quality work consistently and on-time, seeking efficiencies and technical skills, especially as it pertains to digital content standards and requirements
- Experience implementing design and maintaining websites using WordPress
- Thrives under pressure and juggles multiple deadlines without compromising results
- Proven ability to collaborate with the ability to be flexible
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Nonfiction Film / Documentary interests, with a desire to learn about documentary scholarship, and emerging forms of nonfiction media